Gifts from the Heart
We are incredibly grateful for our communities' support throughout the year, including the donation of toiletries, hygiene supplies, toys, and gift cards. Giving these kinds of non-monetary gifts, also known as gifts in kind, to our Hospital gives our team of care providers the resources they need to enhance the hospital experience for patients and their families, especially when they are experiencing a long hospital stay.
If you would like to make a gift in kind to help us enhance patient experience, you can view some of the most needed and commonly requested items below. Thank you in advance for generously supporting the patients and families at Grand River Hospital!
Donated items can be dropped off at Foundation House located at 914 King Street West in Kitchener, Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are located directly across the street from Grand River Hospital's KW Campus.
If you have a large quantity of items (for instance, an SUV full with your seats down), please call the Foundation at 519-749-4205 in advance so we can arrange to accommodate your drop-off.
Toys for Grand River Kids
We are able to accept small, new and unopened toys. All donated items must be new and in their original, sealed packaging. They can also be placed in a clear plastic resealable bag for extra protection.
Our Children's department loves having small gifts to give to patients, since they are easier to store while the patient is in the Hospital and easier for families to take home. These items include:
- Single hot wheels car packs
- Single Barbie dolls and action figures
- Small Lego sets
- Play-Doh and Crayola Model Magic (smaller, single tubs preferred)
- Baby toys for children under the age of 3 years
- Pencil crayons (packs of 12 or 24 preferred)
- Crayons (packs of 12 or 24 preferred)
- Crayola Twistables Coloured Pencils
- Colouring and activity books for children and teens
- Playing cards and other card games (ex. UNO)
- Individual craft kits
Items we are unable to accept
At this time we cannot accept donations of soft items or items that we cannot safely sanitize. These include:
- Any used items, regardless of their condition
- Novels or magazines
- Items that are made from or contain wood
- Items with exposed parts or flimsy plastic pieces
- Any teething items or soothers from less reputable brands or discount stores/outlets
We are always in great need of gift cards to provide to patients and their families or caregivers. Gift cards can help patients, their families, and their caregivers afford important necessities like meals, groceries, hygiene supplies, gas, and entertainment during a time when they may be experiencing a loss of income and increased expenses because of the care they need. Consider making a difference by donating gift cards from the following types of retailers:
- Tim Hortons
- Department stores
- Grocery stores
- Petrol stations
- iTunes cards
- Xbox or Nintendo
- Local retailers who sell items for babies and children
Hygiene Supplies and Toiletries
We are also able to accept new hygiene supplies for patients receiving care in the various care areas through the Hospital. Donated toiletries and hygiene supplies must be new and in their original packaging. Items that do not come in a sealed box (ex. bottles of soap or sticks of deodorant) must be in a clear, plastic resealable bag.
Here are some of the most requested items:
- Liquid soaps (body wash, shampoo, and conditioner)
- Deodorant (for all genders)
- Feminine hygiene products